Monday, December 12, 2005

Loss of Routine

Well, we finally made it. Today we begin our long anticipated vacation. We didn't have much success in getting any scheduled throughout the year, so now we are off until the end of the year. I am very much looking forward to the rest.

Having said that, there is something that bugs me about vacation. I can never seem to stay consistent with my time with the Lord when I am on vacation. For whatever reason, I often find myself going many days without it.

My first assumption is that it is due to the loss of routine in my life for those days. Not getting up at a specific time and having demands that dictate order in my life, seems to have something to do with it.

But then that leaves me with the question of discipline. Do I have any? I begin to wonder, "if the loss of routine in my life causes me to not do the things most important to me, then am I exercising discipline on the other days (non-vacation) or is it merely a habit?" It seems to me that habits and discipline are very different things. Is discipline only necessary up until something becomes a habit? And once something becomes a habit, does it still hold significance or does it become something just done within a larger cycle of repetition?

Hmmm, let's see if this vacation can be different. I may not be able to answer all of these questions, but at least I will be in proximity to the One who can.

2 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

That happens to me on vacation to. SO often. I always tell myself...we are not taking a vacation from God!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

Stop blogging and go do your devotions!! :) LOL! Hope your having a good vacation. Got your Christmas card...ours are late going out. Your family is beautiful!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home