Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Whole New World

Here I sit in my room, in a country I have never seen, talking with folks from all over the world whom I have never before met.  What a wonderful privilege.  God, through The Salvation Army, has blessed me with the opportunity to attend their International College for Officers in London, England.  For the next 8 weeks, I will be seeking to understand more.  I want to understand God more.  I want to understand the internationalism of The Army more.  I want to understand my self more.  As I have said before though, it seems that the more I learn, the less I know.  Nevertheless, I press on.  Through this forum, I hope over the course of the next 2 months, to reflect on some of what I encounter.

As part of our experience here, we have been informally paired up with another delegate with whom we will travel this journey.  I have been paired with Major Daniel Israel who is currently serving as a Divisional Secretary in the India South Western Territory.  Although I don't yet know him well, it appears that this will be a wonderful privilege for me.

I have to say though that this first day together has not been without challenge.  As I listen and attempt to speak to the other delegates, for many of whom English is a second language, I am having a difficult time.  I have always found communication enjoyable.  It is what I studied in College and has always been something that seemed to come easy.  It many ways, I have found definition and value through it.  During prayer this morning, because I was having such a difficult time, I even prayed that God would give me a divine presence that would help me miraculously understand and be understood better.  He didn't seem to want to do so, at least not in the way I had hoped.  It seems to be His desire to remove those things in which I have previously found security.

While I will be challenged in ways I have never before felt, I trust that He has a purpose for everything.  By the end of our prayers this morning, Major Julie Forrest had led us in the reaffirming hymn that calmed my heart:

He leadeth me! he leadeth me!
By his own hand he leadeth me;
His faithful follower I will be,
For by his hand he leadeth me.

And in particular, verse three spoke to me,

Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur or repine,
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

Hopefully, when all is said and done, my understanding will go far deeper than any words . . .




















My new friend, Major Israel Daniel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home