Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Extreme Simplicity?


As I continue to explore the writings of Bonhoeffer, along with my regular times in the Word, much of what they practiced, as it relates to Finkenwalde, has begun to stir my soul. In particular, this idea of "Extreme Simplicity." During that same time, The Salvation Army, too, emphacized this important discipline. However, it seems that as time goes on, this discipline has certainly fallen by the wayside both individually and corporately. I must start by looking to myself as I sit and write surrounded by every modern convenience.

My mind races to what we may have lost in our pursuit of the comfortable and the convenient. Distractions! They are all just distractions from that which we are called to focus on!

As an Army we have fallen into this same trap. We spend so much time and energy keeping the hairball spinning, that we totally lose touch with the purpose for which we were raised. When we focus solely on functions of battle support, we cease to be the force who can achieve full victory on the battlefield. Support is a necessity, but the ultimate purpose of an Army is the fight!

5 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

That is so true. So not only are the Distractions taking our money, that could be used in a better manner, but our time too!

It is hard to stay focused on the battle. At times, for me, It is real easy to focus on God and stay in His presence, reading the Bible being spiritually connected. But the further I go in my march, the shorter these times are.

Are you distracted alot of times too?

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

Hey, My blogspot is really messes up. I have no clue what's wrong with it.. Can you help me? lol

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I took a look and it didn't look bad. Is there something you want to change?

By the way, in response to your first question, yes. It is so easy to get distracted. Time is certainly fleeting when I don't pay close attention to it and sometimes the "time-saving" technologies I use take the most of it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

Thanks.

Nevermind about my site, I just fixed it. I have no clue what in the world happened though.. Oh well its good now! haha

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

Someone was asking recently if the "Army" was a metaphor or really an Army in battle.....I don't know about you but I am in the battle! We need to simplify and put on the full armor!
Bonhoeffer is very inspiring.
Hope all is well with you guys....we miss seeing you around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home