Monday, May 29, 2006

Falling Short

This may seem like a wacked out title, especially when you look at this photo, but bear with me for a minute. I had another dream last night that seems to have a point.

The last dream of my night, last night, found me shopping for something to celebrate Mother's Day. For some reason, I was looking for something in a Consignment Shop. After looking all around, I found an old photo album with pages made from cloth. It didn't seem too large at first, but with each page turn, it seemed to grow. I was surprised to realize that there were keepsakes from its former owner, still tucked between the fragile pages. I came to learn that their names were Harold and Carol. I encountered snapshots and newspaper clippings.

Then things got strange. Several pages in, as I gently turned the page, I realized that Carol was in the book. I don't mean she was there in pictures, she was actually lying between the pages! I froze for a moment. But then I realized that she wasn't dead at all. She had just been in a deep sleep. I turned another page or two and I found Harold. He too had been sleeping. It took some time for me to get them to wake up.

After a little while, I looked out behind the building and I saw that they had stepped out for a smoke. I figured I would see if they could help me understand what was happening. When I asked about their experience, they said that they had been in an extremely deep sleep, from which they were unable to escape. And in their dreams, they had no legs. They said that they had been trying to go where they thought they were supposed to go and they were trying to do what they thought they were supposed to be doing, but with no legs, they went nowhere and accomplished nothing.

Then I woke up.

It seems to me though that this is how most of the world feels on a daily basis. They are sleeping through life trying to go where they think they are supposed to go and trying to do what they think they are supposed to be doing. But in the end, they sense that they are going nowhere and accomplishing nothing, and yet they are powerless to change their plight.

And yet, we can give them their legs. We can introduce them to the One who created them. We can show them that He created them for a very real purpose. They have value and their life is no mistake. They are loved not because of what they do or where they go, but because of who He is. And then He gives them their legs, and shows them how to use them.

6 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Suebee35 said...

I praise God for you. Not just because you are a good man and husband, but because you listen to God. God really seems to speak to you through your dreams. I remember the garbage truck one (which I think you posted on as well) which really spoke to where are youth are and what was happening to them.

Now God gives you a new word and a new focus for the new people you will be encountering in our next appointment. I know God is going to use you in unique ways to meet and reach people who have not yet been reached with the gospel.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

I love reading the things you have to say, I can always count on learning something new!

God's spoken through you!! Thank's for sharing the dream.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you all for your comments. Sometimes when I type these things I come away thinking I am off of my rocker. Your encouragement is a blessing and a confirmation.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Christopher Hinzman said...

We may all be off of our rockers..BUT GUESS WHAT

'I'll become even more undignified than this. Some may think it's foolishness, but I'll become even more undignified than this.'

LOL I love that song.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

I love the fact that God still speaks to His people in dreams. That you not only recognize it as God but that you also have the guts to share it so others can hear God with you.
As far as being off your rocker...hmmm that's a different subject.:)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger WalksInTheWoods said...

Good read Jim, the everyday dreams of men and women of God can carry deeper meanings.

Its the kind of things we ought to be doing for each other as christians, giving each other legs to stand firm on in the changing emotions and situations of the world..... and to walk confidently in the direction of our own dreams...

thanks for your words,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home